Ashbrow Sport Premium Statement
PE and Sport play a very important part in the life of Ashbrow School and at least two, hour sessions per week, are dedicated to physical activity in the curriculum. We believe thatphysical education and sport contribute to the holistic development of young people and through participation in sport and physical education, young people learn more about key values such as teamwork, fair play and respect for themselves and others.
There is significant evidence to show the positive effects of sport and exercise on children’s physical health, growth and development. Furthermore, sport also provides a healthy environment for young people to learn how to deal with competition and how to cope with both winning and losing.
In April 2013, the Government announced new funding (Sport Premium) for physical education (PE) and sport to improve the quality and breadth of PE and sport provision at School. We are currently in the 2nd year of funding and are using the Sport Premium to improve the quality of PE and Sport provision in the following ways:
- employing a specialist PE teacher from the Pennine Sport School Partnership to work alongside teachers in lessons on a Friday to increase their subject knowledge and confidence in PE
- providing cover staff to release teachers for professional development in PE and sport
- procuring quality-assured professional training for staff to raise their confidence and competence in teaching PE and sport through the Pennine Sport School Sports partnership
- supporting external sports coaches to run competitions, and to increase pupils’ participation in school games competitions
- quality assuring the work of coaches and instructors employed to coach after school clubs
- buying into the Pennine School Sport Partnership to develop local initiatives within the North Huddersfield Learning Community.
- using the funding to support sport tournaments and competitions for pupils of all age
- providing places for pupils in after-school sport clubs
- supporting midday playworkers to introduce playground games at breaks and lunchtime
- developing young sports leaders
Sports Premium 2017- 2018
Sports Premium 2017-2018 – Total Funding = £19,310
Please click here to see the table below for a breakdown of how this money has been used and the impact it has had.